|1st||0:55||ALH||1-0||EV||Brandon Parker (1)||Josh Kestner/7|
|1st||2:24||ALH||2-0||EV||Matt Salhany (3)||Brennan Saulnier/5|
|2nd||1:43||ALH||3-0||PP||Jordan Larson (3)||Brennan Saulnier/6, Kurt Gosselin/4|
|2nd||15:34||AKF||1-3||EV||Marcus Basara (4)||-|
|3rd||0:35||AKF||2-3||PP||Justin Woods (2)||Zach Frye/4, Marcus Basara/5|
|3rd||11:47||AKF||3-3||EV GT||John Mullally (1)||Troy Van Tetering/4, Aaron Herdt/1|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||OT||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Alabama Huntsville (4-7-2)||1/4||5/10||0|
|Jesse Jenks (T, 2-4-1)||65:00||3||11||3||6||0||20|
|Alabama Huntsville Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||OT||Saves|
|Jordan Uhelski (T, 2-3-2)||65:00||3||7||8||11||5||31|
HUNTSVILLE | The University of Alabama in Huntsville hockey team tied in regulation in the series opener at the Von Braun Center on Friday night by a final score of 3-3 against Alaska Fairbanks, with UAF earning the extra WCHA point with the sudden-death goal in the second overtime period. UAH moves to 4-7-2 (4-3-2 WCHA), while UAF's record now sits at 3-7-1 (2-4-1 WCHA).
- After UAH potted three goals to start the contest, Alaska Fairbanks found its footing in the second and third period to tie the game at 3-3 in regulation with the key, game-tying goal being provided by UAF's John Mullally at 11:47 of the third. UAF went on to take the extra WCHA point in the 3-on-3 overtime with a marker by Taylor Munson 25 seconds into the stanza.
Inside the Box Score
- The Chargers jumped out to an early lead in the opening period as Brandon Parker found the back of the net off an assist from Huntsville native Josh Kestner 55 seconds into the contest.
- UAH would add to the advantage shortly after at 2:24 of the first on a goal by Matt Salhany, with Brennan Saulnier picking up the assist.
- Following intermission, freshman Jordan Larson pushed the Chargers lead to 3-0 on the power play, as both Saulnier and Kurt Gosselin recorded helpers at 1:43 of the second period.
- Alaska Fairbanks cut into the Chargers lead later on in the second at 15:34 by Marcus Basara to slim the UAH lead to 3-1 heading into second overtime.
- UAF's Justin Woods quickly pulled the visitors within one at 3-2 with a goal 35 seconds into the third period, prior to Mullally's game-tying tally at 11:47 of the third.
- The Chargers went 1-for-4 on the power play, while the Nanooks were 1-for-5.
- Jordan Uhelski moves to 2-3-2 on the year between the pipes, after allowing three goals and making 26 saves.
- UAH totaled 23 shots on goal in the contest, led by sophomore Madison Dunn's four shots on target.
- The Chargers are now 1-0-2 in overtime games so far in 2016-17.
- Saulnier's two assist performance was his second two-point game of the season, after totaling one goal and one assist in the opener at Alaska Anchorage last weekend.
- Gosselin has now recorded at least one point in his past three games.
Next Time Out
- UAH and Alaska Fairbanks will matchup on Saturday at 7:07 p.m. to wrap up the two-game series at the VBC.