Bowling Green Edged By Miami In Overtime, 2-1
Junior defenseman Mark Friedman scores goal for Falcons

Junior defenseman Mark Friedman scored a goal for the Falcons
Prd Time  Team Score Type Scored By Assists
3rd 0:10  MIA1-0 EV Carson Meyer (2)Anthony Louis/3, Josh Melnick/4
3rd 18:54  BGS1-1 EV EA Mark Friedman (2)Mitchell McLain/2, Tyler Spezia/1
OT 2:05  MIA2-1 PP GW Anthony Louis (4)Carson Meyer/5, Carter Johnson/2
Scoring 1st 2nd 3rd OT Final
Bowling Green  00101
Miami  00112
Shots on Goal 1st 2nd 3rd OT SOG
Bowling Green  687021
Miami  645116
Team Stats and Records  PP PIM SHGF
Bowling Green (0-6-1)  0/3 5/10 0
Miami (3-1-2)  1/4 4/11 0
Bowling Green Goaltending MIN GA 1 2 3 OT Saves
Chris Nell (L, 0-4-1)61:362 644014
Empty Net0:290      
Miami Goaltending MIN GA 1 2 3 OT Saves
Ryan Larkin (W, 3-1-2)62:051 686020

OXFORD, Ohio - Despite junior Mark Friedman notching a late goal to tie the game and force overtime, the Bowling Green hockey program (0-6-1, 0-2-0 WCHA) fell to non-conference foe Miami (3-1-2, 0-0-0 NCHC) Friday evening with a 2-1 final in overtime. The Falcons outshot the Redhawks by a 21-16 margin, and were able to kill three of Miami's four power plays on the night.

"I thought we defended better and I thought our goaltending was better," Bowling Green hockey head coach Chris Bergeron said. "The puck seemed to be bouncing both ways, and there weren't a lot of shots, which I'm glad we defended against better."

The first period featured quick back-and-forth play between the in-state rivals, leading to each team tallying six shots through the scoreless 20 minutes of play. In addition to successfully killing two penalties, the Falcons marked multiple scoring chances in the first.

A great chance came when juniors Tyler Spezia and Mitch McLain came flying across the blue line with a 2-on-1 advantage despite being shorthanded, but were unable to get a shot on net after getting tied up near the crease. Then with just under eight minutes to go, freshman Lukas Craggs looked to score his first career goal on the breakaway. The Elmhurst, Ill. native made a solid first shot attempt, but was unable to pick up the rebound to get another shot off.

Junior goaltender Chris Nell made an early impact in the game, coming up with big saves to keep it a scoreless first period. Just 4:26 in, the native of Green Bay, Wis. stopped the first shot of the game, then followed it up with another big save as the Redhawks came crashing into the Bowling Green zone and made clean passes at the blue line before laying the puck into the chest of the junior goalie.

"Chris looked more like the personnel we've come to know the last couple of years," Coach Bergeron said. "He looked a little more confident, a little more controlled and a little more like he normally does."

Throughout the second half of the first period, the Falcons came alive and saw more quality chances at the net and more time in the offensive zone. The momentum flowed into the second period, leading to the Falcons holding a 14-10 edge in shots after 40 minutes on ice. Midway through the second, Miami marked the first scoring chance for either team in the period, but the shot went wide right and the Falcons were able to convert the play back over into the Redhawks side of the ice.

Senior Matt Pohlkamp came up with a backhanded shot headed for the upper left corner of the goal, although it was stopped by the blocker of the Miami goalie. It the attempt was one of Pohlkamp's three shots on the night.

The momentum kept building for the Falcons nearing the end of the second period, including another chance by McLain and Spezia. The duo stormed the net and got multiple shots off before the net was knocked off the posts. The teams then got tied up with each other after the whistle, ultimately leading to Bowling Green's second power play on the night. Although the Falcons earned three shots on the power play, the team's remained scoreless through the second period as well, but Bowling Green continued to dominate play to close out the period.

It was off the initial faceoff of the third period that Miami was able to convert to a 3-on-2 opportunity and find the back of the net just ten seconds into the period. The Falcons first opportunity to even the score came with 14:05 remaining on the clock, when Miami was sent to the box for a five minute major. Although the Redhawks killed the penalty, Bowling Green was still persistent in the Miami zone.

Bowling Green called its lone timeout with 1:35 to go and still down 1-0. After the timeout, the Falcons sent out six skaters and an empty net. It didn't take long before junior Mark Friedman capitalized on cluttered play behind the net and scored with just 1:06 remaining in regulation time. The goal was the Toronto, Ontario native's 10th in his career.

With Friedman's second goal of the season, the Falcons forced overtime play. Early in, Bowling Green went on the penalty kill for the fourth time of the night and it was 2:05 into the extra time when Miami slipped the puck in from a shot in the slot to make it a 2-1 final.

The Falcons held a 21-16 edge in shots on goal over Miami in the 62:05 minutes of play, with seven players tallying at least two shots on net. Defensively, Friedman and sophomore Adam Smith each marked four blocked shots, while Nell earned 14 saves on the night.

"It's going to be tough to contain a group of forwards like Miami's two nights in a row. It isn't going to be real easy," Coach Bergeron added. "Right now, we want to win bad and tomorrow is our next opportunity."

The Bowling Green hockey team will look to rebound tomorrow night as they face the Redhawks in a 7:05 p.m. puck drop. The non-conference game will be the final game of a three-game road stint for the Falcons before returning back to the BGSU Ice Arena on Nov. 4.