|1st||2:18||ALH||1-0||PP||Brennan Saulnier (5)||Austin Beaulieu/1, Kurt Gosselin/5|
|2nd||4:52||ALH||2-0||EV GW||Brennan Saulnier (6)||Connor Wood/1, John Teets/2|
|2nd||7:06||AKA||1-2||EV||Austin Azurdia (4)||Jeremiah Luedtke/4, Tad Kozun/5|
|2nd||10:30||ALH||3-1||EV||Christian Rajic (3)||Austin Beaulieu/2, Cam Knight/4|
|2nd||16:49||ALH||4-1||EV||Levi Wunder (1)||John Teets/3, Connor Wood/2|
|3rd||18:08||ALH||5-1||SH EN||Madison Dunn (1)||Hans Gorowsky/3|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Alaska Anchorage (1-7-1)||0/2||6/12||0|
|Alabama Huntsville (3-6-0)||1/4||4/8||1|
|Alaska Anchorage Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Olivier Mantha (L, 1-7-1)||59:33||4||18||9||8||35|
|Alabama Huntsville Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Jordan Uhelski (W, 3-4-0)||59:43||1||4||5||7||16|
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - The University of Alabama in Huntsville hockey team opened its home slate with a dominant 5-1 win over Alaska Anchorage in the first game of the WCHA series on Friday night at the Von Braun Center. UAH improves to 3-6-0 (2-1-0 WCHA), while UAA dips to (1-7-1, 1-2-0 WCHA).
- Brennan Saulnier continued his torrid start to the 2017-18 campaign by scoring the Chargers first two goals - which would prove to be the difference - at 2:18 of the first followed by a goal at 4:52 of the second on the way to the 5-1 drubbing of the Seawolves.
- Saulnier put the Chargers on the board early with a power-play tally at 2:18 of the first period when he delivered a centering pass from Austin Beaulieu past UAA's Olivier Mantha. Both Austin Beaulieu and Kurt Gosselin had assists on the play.
- UAH would take its 1-0 lead into first intermission before Saulnier struck again at 4:52 of the second, thanks to a feed by Connor Wood which allowed Saulnier to create space in front of the crease.
- Alaska Anchorage found the scoreboard at 7:06 of the second to slim the UAH lead to 2-1, but UAH charged through the end of the second with tallies by Christian Rajic at 10:30 and Levi Wunder at 16:49 to put UAH ahead 4-1.
- The majority of the third period went scoreless until Madison Dunn scored on an empty Alaska Anchorage net at 18:08 for his first goal of the season.
Inside the Box Score
- The Chargers had a trio of players total two points in the win, including Saulnier (2g-0a), Wood (0g-2a) and Beaulieu (0g-2a).
- Nine different Chargers had at least a point.
- UAH dominated the shot on goal count in the contest with 40 shots on goal compared to UAA's 17 shots on target.
- Saulnier finished with a team-high seven shots on goal, followed by Gosselin with six.
- A total of nine UAH players had two or more shots on goal.
- The Chargers went 26-for-58 on face-offs.
- Jordan Uhelski improved to 3-4-0 in goal after totaling 16 saves and allowing just one goal.
- UAH went 1-for-4 on the power play while holding Alaska Anchorage to zero goals in two power-play chances.
- UAH last scored five goals in a home-opener on Oct. 12, 2001 in a 6-1 win over Bentley.
- The Chargers back-to-back wins are the first this season.
- UAH's five goals are the most by the squad this season.
- Saulnier has scored four goals in the past three games, and is now the squad's offensive leader with eight points on six goals and two assists.
Next Time Out
- UAH and UAA wrap up the WCHA series on Saturday at 7:07 p.m. at the VBC.