HUNTSVILLE, Al. - The University of Alabama in Huntsville hockey team turned in a dominant 6-2 victory over visiting Alaska Anchorage on Friday night at the Von Braun Center to open a two-game Western Collegiate Hockey Association series. UAH rises to 5-19-1 (5-11-1 WCHA), while UAA dips to 2-20-1 (1-15-1 WCHA).
- After UAH and Alaska Anchorage were tied 1-1 through 20 minutes on Friday, the Chargers turned in a three-goal second period to put the Seawolves in a three-goal deficit on the way to the 6-2 win in the series-opener.
- UAH scored the first goal of the game at the 9:32 mark of the first period when Connor Wood knocked in a rebound off a shot by Cam Knight from the point. Both Knight and Adam Wilcox registered assists on the first goal.
- Alaska Anchorage notched a late tally in the first period at 17:49 by Nicolas Erb-Ekholm to knot the contest at 1-1.
- The Chargers took control of the matchup in the second period with a total of three goals in the stanza, including Jack Jeffers at 4:40, Andrew Dodson at 5:52 and Hans Gorowsky on the power play at 18:52.
- UAH carried its success on the power play into the third period as Kurt Gosselin scored two minutes in on the man-advantage prior to Gorowsky scoring his second of the game on the power play at 9:38 to make it 6-1 Chargers.
- UAA scored again late in the third period with the marker going to Carmine Buono at 15:51 bring the game to its final score of 6-2.
Inside the Box Score
- Gorowsky and Gosselin paced the Chargers offense with three points apiece, as Gorowsky had two goals and one assist while Gosselin added one goal and chipped in a pair of assists.
- Gorowksy also had a team-high 12 face-off wins.
- Knight and Bauer Neudecker each notched a pair of helpers in the win to rate tied for second on the squad with two points apiece.
- A total of 12 Chargers recorded at least one point against the Seawolves on Friday.
- Mark Sinclair picked up the win in goal to improve to 3-12-1 on the year, as the sophomore totaled 21 saves on Friday.
- UAH held UAA scoreless in its lone power-play chance, while the Chargers had three power-play goals in five man-advantages.
- The Chargers went 35-for-65 on face-offs.
- UAH has killed off 22 consecutive penalties dating back to Dec. 15.
- The Chargers six goals are the most in a single game by the team this season.
- Gorowsky notched his first career three-point game.
- UAH is averaging 5.00 goals per game at home in the 2019 calendar year.
Next Time Out
- UAH goes for the series sweep of Alaska Anchorage tomorrow at 3:07 p.m. at the VBC.