HUNTSVILLE | The University of Alabama in Huntsville hockey team dropped the nonconference series finale against Arizona State by a 5-1 final on Saturday night at the Von Braun Center. UAH slips to 0-6-0, while ASU rises to 4-2-0.
- After the majority of the first period went scoreless, Arizona State struck three times in the final two minutes of the period to lead 3-0 heading into intermission en route to the 5-1 win over the Chargers on Saturday.
- Arizona State's offense kicked into gear late in the first period with goals by Tyler Busch at 18:28, Jake Clifford at 19:05 and Austin Lemieux at 19:47 to notch an early 3-0 advantage.
- The Sun Devils added one goal in the second period as Dylan Hollman scored at 12:24 of the stanza to push the lead to 4-0.
- UAH scored its lone tally of the contest at 9:54 of the third when Jack Jeffers received a feed from Christian Rajic and sent a wrist shot past ASU goalie Joey Daccord.
- ASU responded quickly with a marker by Jarrod Gourley at 10:46 of the third period to bring the game to its final score of 5-1.
Inside the Box Score
- UAH totaled 26 shots on goal in the loss, as sophomore Christian Rajic led the way with five stopped shots.
- Eight total Chargers had at least two shots on goal.
- Senior transfer Jake Theut made the start in goal for the Blue & White, totaling 30 saves. Theut made 10 or more saves in two of the three periods, including a game-high 12 stops in the third period.
- The Chargers went 34-for-67 in the face-off circle, led by Hans Gorowsky who went 14-for-24 in faceoffs.
- ASU was held to one goal in eight power-play chances.
- Jeffers' goal was the first of his collegiate career.
Next Time Out
- UAH continues its three-series homestand next Friday and Saturday at the VBC as Lake Superior State visits to start Western Collegiate Hockey Association play.