HUNTSVILLE | The University of Alabama in Huntsville hockey team opened Western Collegiate Hockey Association play on Friday night at the Von Braun Center with a 4-3 loss to visiting Lake Superior State to open a two-game series. UAH dips to 0-7-0 (0-1-0 WCHA), while LSSU rises to 3-0-0 (1-0-0 WCHA).
- Four of the games seven total goals came in the final eight minutes of play on Friday night, with Lake Superior State's Alex Ambrosino notching the eventual game-winner on an empty net at 18:39 of the third period which gave the Lakers a two-goal advantage on the way to the 4-3 win.
- After 10 scoreless minutes in the first period, LSSU's Brayden Gelsinger forced a turnover at center ice before scoring shorthanded at 11:31 of the first to give the visitors the first lead.
- UAH evened the score at 1-1 at 3:45 of the second period when Tyr Thompson sent in a rebound off a shot by Kurt Gosselin from the blue line.
- Lake Superior State regained its advantage at 4:22 of the second period with a goal by Collin Saccoman, prior to a tally at 12:36 by Anthony Nellis made it a two-goal lead for LSSU.
- Brandon Salerno slimmed the UAH deficit to 3-2 with a marker at 15:25, but was negated with the empty-net goal by Ambrosio at 18:39.
- Connor James scored for the Chargers - thanks to assists by Hans Gorowsky and Madison Dunn - in the final minute at 19:38 to bring the game to its final score of 4-3.
Inside the Box Score
- UAH totaled 28 shots on goal in the contest, led by Gosselin who had a game-high eight shots on goal.
- James finished second to Gosselin with four shots saved.
- Mark Sinclair took the loss in goal to drop his record to 0-4-0 on the year, despite accruing 31 saves including 18 in the first period.
- The Chargers held the Lakers to zero goals in two power-play chances.
- UAH blocked a total of 12 shots in the game, paced by Gosselin with four blocks.
- Thompson's goal was the first of his collegiate career and the first power-play goal by the Chargers this season.
- With a goal and an assist in the game, James is the first Charger with a multi-point effort in a game this season.
- Sinclair has totaled 30 or more saves in three of his four starts in 2018-19.
Next Time Out
- UAH and Lake Superior State wrap up the two-game series on Saturday at 7:07 p.m. at the Von Braun Center.