BOWLING GREEN, Ohio. - The No. 9 ranked Bowling Green State University hockey team opened WCHA play with a three to one victory over the Wildcats of Northern Michigan on Friday (Nov. 2) night. The Falcons scored three goals outshooting the Wildcats 27 to 23 on the evening. Taylor Schneider and Sam Craggs each got their second goal of the season putting the Falcons up by two early. Northern Michigan would cut the lead in half in the second before the Brandon Kruse would seal it for the Falcons with his third goal of the season. Bowling Green will play the second game of this series with Northern Michigan on Saturday (Nov. 3) night in Slater Family Ice Arena at 7:07pm.
- At 8:52 into the first period, puck handling would break down in the crease in front of NMU goaltender Atte Tolvanen as his defender lost his stick. Baylis would cease the opportunity crossing it to Taylor Schneider who would score over his left pad for his second goal as a Falcon. Baylis would be the lone assist.
- Sam Craggs would roll right out of the penalty box and onto the scoresheet on a second effort goal for Bowling Green early in the second period following four on four hockey. He was assisted by Brandon Kruse and Chris Pohlkamp.
- Troy Loggins of Northern Michigan would cut the lead in half, scoring on a five on three power play 11:28 into the second period. He would be assisted by Joeseph Nardi.
- Brandon Kruse would score his third goal of the season to seal it for the Falcons at 12:48 into the third period. He was unassisted.
Other Key Plays
- Midway through the second, a large scrum broke out after a crash into Ryan Bednard. The resulting penalties left Northern Michigan on a five on three power play, in which they would find the back of the net.
Falcon Stat Facts
- Brandon Kruse had his third multi-point game of the season so far bringing his total to nine in his career so far.
- The Falcons have outscored their opponents by a total of 39 to 13.
- Ryan Bednard remains unbeaten on the season now posting of 6-0-1. He has made 162 saves so far with just 10 goals scored against him.
- The Falcons collect their first win in WCHA play on the season bringing their league point total to three.
- Bowling Green returns to Slater Family Ice Arena for game two of their series against Northern Michigan on Saturday (Nov. 3) night. Puck drop will be at 7:07pm.