Pittsburgh, PA - The Bowling Green State University hockey team came up one short dropping the series opener to Robert Morris by a final score of 3 to 2 on Friday night (Oct. 12) at Colonials Arena. The Falcons struck twice out shooting the Colnials 39 to 28 in the contest.
Sophomore Cameron Wright would extend his score streak to two games striking first for the Falcons. Robert Morris would then take advantage of two second period goals that were scored fifteen seconds apart during a five minute major penalty received by Bowling Green. Junior Frederic Letourneau would tie it for the Falcons in the third before Robert Morris would score the game winning goal a little over two minutes later. This was the first in a home-and-home series between the Falcons and Colonials. Game two of the series will take place in Slater Family Ice Arena on Sunday Oct. 14 as Bowling Green opens the home portion of their schedule.
- Cameron Wright scores on a backhanded goal over the right pad 3:50 into the second period. Max Johnson and Brandon Kruse would pick up assists on the goal.
- At 13:41 into the second, Nick Prkusic of the Colonials would score the first of two power play goals on a five minute major received by Lukas Craggs. Justin Addamo and Alex Tonge with assists.
- Michael Loria of RMU would score their second power play goal of the five minute penalty fifteen seconds later. Assists would go to Tonge and Addamo.
- Frederic Letourneau would score 9:15 into the third period to tie the game. Alex Barber and Chris Pohlkamp would pick up assists.
- RMU's Alex Tonge would score the game winning goal at 11:36 into the third period.
Other Key Plays
- At 3:58 left in the first period, Lukas Craggs was hit hard to the ice as Grant Herbert of Robert Morris picked up a five minute major and an ejection for charging. The Falcons would take their five minute power play into the second period.
- At 9:40 left in the second period Lukas Craggs would pick up a five minute major and an ejection for contact to the head. Robert Morris would capitalize twice during the five minute major.
Falcon Stat Facts
- Cameron Wright of the Falcons remains on a two game scoring streak going into the home opener on Sunday.
- Frederic Letourneu picks up his first goal of the 2018-19 campaign.
Coach Bergeron's Take
"Obviously, I'm disappointed and I think we'll look back at probably the overall was discipline. I mean we weren't awful in the first period tied zero zero on the road."
"Three games on the road in one week, none of that's' easy, but we're not going to use any excuses. We were undisciplined in the second period when I though we really started to play better and create some chances."
"It wasn't a barrage of chances by any means but it was a situation where the selfishness of some players on our team took any momentum we were going to create. Then what was left over really had to work hard to kill penalties, and that made it very difficult.
"That's the underlying thing for me. Yea we lost and I'm disappointed with the loss but I'm really disappointed with the lack of discipline with some of our players."
The Bowling Green State University hockey team will open the home portion of their regular season schedule on Sunday night (Oct. 14) at 5:07 p.m. when they host Robert Morris University at Slater Family Ice Arena. It is the second game of the home-and-home series. The Falcons will then be off until they host Western Michigan for the second game of their home-and-home series on Oct. 23.