PLYMOUTH, Mich. - The No. 12 ranked Bowling Green State University hockey team defeated the U.S.A. Hockey National Developmental Program's Under-18 team 5-4 in an exhibition game Wednesday (Nov. 21) night. The Falcons scored five times on 42 shots on goal. Stephen Baylis would open the scoring before Sam Craggs and Shane Bednard would extend the Falcons' lead to 3-0 in the second period. Team USA would battle back cutting the deficit to one goal twice in the third period. Max Johnson and Lukas Craggs would each net goals in the third period keeping the Falcons ahead. Bowling Green will return to the ice following the holiday weekend resuming their WCHA schedule with back-to-back away series. The first will be against Alabama Huntsville (Dec. 1, 2) followed by Ferris State (Dec. 7, 8).
- Stephen Baylis gave the Falcons an early lead 10:33 into the first period on some broken puck handling by Team USA following the end of a power play. Lukas Craggs and Will Cullen would pick up assists.
- Sam Craggs would find the back of the net driving in a centering pass in front of the net 1:46 into the second period. That pass would be off the stick of Max Johnson.
- Not long after that at 4:34 into the second period Shane Bednard would gather a loose puck and sent it over the left shoulder of Team USA's goaltender Spencer Knight. He was unassisted.
- 18:42 into the second period Patrick Moynihan of Team USA would score an unassisted goal to make it 3-1 going into the third period.
- Max Johnson would score a power play goal for BGSU at 6:16 into the third period. His goal was unassisted.
- Cole Caufield would answer for Team USA shortly after at 7:11 into the third. He was assisted by
- Team USA would net another as Owen Lindmark would score at 14:54 into the third period. Assists would go to Case McCarthy and Domenick Fensore
- Lukas Craggs would score an empty net goal for some insurance for the Falcons 17:55 into the third period. Brandon Kruse would pick up the assist.
- With 9.9 seconds left in the game Team USA's Cole Caufield would cut the final deficit to one goal making it a 5-4 final. He was assisted by Trevor Zegras and Henry Thrun.
Falcon Stat Facts
- With this exhibition win the Bowling Green Falcons now lead their all-time series with the U.S.A. Hockey National Developmental Program's Under-18 team at 3 games to 2.
Coach Bergeron's Take
"Generally I'm happy with our effort. I thought our effort was back to looking like our team when we are right. I'm obviously happy with the result. It's an exhibition game but still we'd still like to get a result. And to go into a little bit of a break here on a good note, I thought we did that."
On this being an exhibition game as opposed to a regular season game, "Its reaffirmation that if we play the game a certain way we can be a pretty good team. I thought that we did that and that's the lesson. That's the takeaway."
- Bowling Green will resume their WCHA schedule with back-to-back away series. The first will be against Alabama Huntsville (Dec. 1, 2) followed by Ferris State (Dec. 7, 8).