Bowling Green, Ohio - The Bowling Green State University hockey team gave the home crowd another great show, capturing a 4-1 victory over the #19 Western Michigan Broncos on Tuesday (Oct. 23). Despite Western Michigan scoring the first goal of the night, BGSU fought back, leading in shots on goal (30-20) and ultimately winning the game and completing the season sweep of the Broncos. Stephen Baylis led the way for the Falcons, scoring a goal and adding an assist. Baylis was joined by both Craggs brothers, as well as Max Johnson, in the scoring column. Bowling Green won the first meeting on Oct. 9, 6-2. With this win Falcons Head Coach Chris Bergeron tallied win No. 150 at the helm of the Orange and Brown.
- Mattias Samuelsson broke the ice, scoring for the Broncos at 17:56 after stealing the puck away from BGSU. The assists were credited to Paul Washe and Lawton Courtnall.
- The Falcons came soaring back as Stephen Baylis was assisted by John Schilling on a breakaway shorthanded goal with 2:02 remaining in the first period.
- Max Johnson kept the action going in the second period, scoring a power play goal and giving Bowling Green a 2-1 lead. He was assisted by Brandon Kruse and Stephen Baylis.
- With 1:25 left, Lukas Craggs capitalized on a 4v4 opportunity, putting the Falcons ahead 3-1 late in the second period. Connor McDonald and Alex Rauhauser provided the assists.
- Sam Craggs joined his brother with a goal of his own in the third period with 11:38 left in the game. Connor Ford and Adam Smith earned assists.
Other Key Plays
- With 8:19 left in the game, the teams could no longer hold back their emotions as a small fight broke out near Western Michigan's goal. Following the scuffle, Hugh McGing of Western Michigan and BGSU's Lukas Craggs found themselves walking to the locker room a little early, both receiving ejections.
- After everything settled, the Falcons were on the wrong end of a 5v3, but managed to escape unscathed from the situation, preserving their lead through the game's conclusion.
Falcon Stat Facts
- Stephen Baylis' shorthanded goal is his third of his career. He led the Falcons in the category last season with two. He also now leads the team in goals for the season with four.
- For the first time this season both Craggs brothers, Lukas and Sam, found the back of the net for goals. Sam Craggs' goal was his first goal of the season.
- Ryan Bednard had 19 saves on the night, his most in Slater Family Ice Arena this season.
- Chris Bergeron collected his 150th win as Head Coach of the Bowling Green State University hockey program. His all time record now sits at 150-144-39.
- Next, the Falcons will face off with the Ohio State Buckeyes this weekend in a home-and-home series. BGSU will travel to Columbus on Friday, Oct. 26 for the first game, starting at 7:07 pm. Then, Bowling Green will host Ohio State the following night, Oct. 27, at Slater Family Ice Arena with puck drop scheduled for 7:07 pm. This will be another ranked matchup for the Orange and Brown, as the Buckeyes are ranked fourth in the nation. The Falcons and Buckeyes last met in October of 2016, with Ohio State taking both games in the home-and-home series.