HUNTSVILLE | The University of Alabama in Huntsville hockey team skated to a 6-6 tie on Friday night at the Von Braun Center in the opening game of a Western Collegiate Hockey Association series against Alaska. UAH moves to 2-20-5 (2-14-5 WCHA), while UAF now is 13-13-3 (11-9-3 WCHA).
- Alaska scored twice in a 20-second span in the third period to knot the game at 6-6, which forced overtime and allowed the Nanooks to take the extra WCHA point in 3-on-3 overtime.
- UAH started off with an early goal at 1:34 of the opening period by Daneel Lategan, before Liam Izyk made it a 2-0 UAH lead at 5:57.
- Alaska rebounded with a power-play goal at 12:42, but UAH regained a two-goal lead at 3-1 with a marker by captain Austin Beaulieu.
- The Nanooks struck twice early into the second at :09 by Steven Jandric and 4:59 by Kylar Hope.
- UAH then posted back-to-back goals of their own at 11:26 by Tyr Thompson and 16:01 by Connor Wood to take a 5-3 advantage.
- Both sides scored in the final minute of the second to give the Chargers a 6-4 lead heading into intermission.
- Alaska scored two goals in the third period by James LaDouce at 15:33 and Max Newton at 15:51 to force overtime where the game would finalize in a 6-6 tie.
Inside the Box Score
- The Chargers offense featured a total of four players with two points in the game, including Christian Rajic (1g-1a), Beaulieu (1g-1a), Izyk (1g-1a) and Dayne Finnson (2a).
- A total of 14 different UAH players contributed at least one point, while six Chargers scored in the contest.
- UAH accrued 28 shots on goal against UAF, led by Beaulieu with five shots on goal.
- Lucas Bahn and Finnson tied for a team-high +2 rating on the ice.
- Three Chargers had three blocks apiece on Friday, counting Tanner Hickey, Max Coyle and Bailey Newton.
- Mark Sinclair's record moves to 2-16-5 with the tie, after making 37 saves on the night.
- UAH last scored six goals in a game on Jan. 19, 2019, and the last time the squad had three goals in a period - which was accomplished twice tonight - was on Nov. 29, 2019.
- Izyk has five points (2g-3a) in his last three games, and he's the fifth Charger to accrued double-digit points in 2019-20.
- Latta notched his team-leading 10th assist on the season, improving his roster-best point total to 17 with seven goals as well.
- Finnson has two, two-assist performances this season.
Next Time Out
- UAH and Alaska wrap up the series on Saturday at 7:07 p.m.