HUNTSVILLE - The University of Alabama in Huntsville hockey team was edged by a final score of 4-3 in overtime by visiting Bowling Green on Friday night at the Von Braun Center in the first game of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association series. UAH dips to 2-25-6 (2-19-6 WCHA), while BGSU improves to 18-13-4 (13-10-4 WCHA).
- Bowling Green turned in the third period's lone goal to tie the contest at 3-3 with less than 12 minutes to go, as the Falcons went on to win the opener 4-3 with 3:05 remaining in the first period on Alex Barber's goal.
- UAH went in front first with a tally by Ben Allen at 16:54 of the first period off assists by Daneel Lategan and Lucas Bahn.
- BGSU evened the game with Cameron Wright's unassisted goal 55 seconds into the second period, but back-to-back UAH goals by Brandon Salerno at 8:56 and Tyr Thompson at 12:32 on the power play put UAH up 3-3-1.
- The Falcons added a power-play goal of the their own by Alex Barber at 14:19 of the second to cut the Chargers lead to 3-2.
- Bowling Green's Will Cullen evened the game at 3-3 at 8:46 of the third period, before Barber's overtime tally at 1:55 gave the visitors the 4-3 win.
Inside the Box Score
- Mark Sinclair provided the Chargers with 54 saves on the night, as he registered a game-high 22 stops in the third period alone.
- UAH recorded 17 shots on goal on the night, led by Connor James with a team-high four shots on goal.
- Lategan and Bahn finished with a team-high two points on two assists apiece.
- Tanner Hickey and Christian Rajic also notched assists on the night.
- Salerno and Allen tied for a team-high +2 rating on the ice.
- James also paced the Chargers in blocks, getting in the way of a team-high five shots.
- Sinclair's 54 saves are a career-high for the junior, and he's the first UAH goalie to record 50-plus saves since Carmine Guerriero's 76 stops against Michigan Tech on March 13, 2015.
- Both Bahn and Lategan registered their first career two-assist games.
- Hickey is the sixth Charger and third freshman to reach double-digit points this season with three goals and seven assists.
- Rajic matched his career high in points with his 15th of the season on his ninth assist tonight.
Next Time Out
- UAH finishes off the 2019-20 season on Saturday at 3:07 p.m. against Bowling Green at the VBC.