HUNTSVILLE | The University of Alabama in Huntsville hockey team opened its home slate and Western Collegiate Hockey Association schedule for the 2019-20 season with a 5-1 loss to No. 2 Minnesota State on Friday night at the Von Braun Center. UAH dips to 0-5-0 (0-1-0 WCHA), while MSU improves to 4-0-1 (1-0-0 WCHA).
- Minnesota State outscored UAH 3-0 in the second and third periods, which lifted the Mavericks to a 5-1 victory over the Chargers on Friday night.
- Minnesota State opened the scoring at 8:32 of the first period on a goal by Charlie Gerard, as Gerard would score again in the first period at 10:56 to give the visitors a 2-0 advantage.
- UAH went on the board at 12:20 when Jack Jeffers scored from in front of the crease off a feed from Bauer Neudecker to cut the deficit to 2-1.
- The Mavericks added one goal in the second period by Walker Duehr at 9:44, followed by third-period tallies by Chris Van Os-Shar at :34 and Parker Tuomie at 8:49 to bring the game to its 5-1 final score.
Inside the Box Score
- Mark Sinclair took the loss to drop to 0-3-0 on the season in goal, despite accruing 45 saves.
- The Chargers accumulated 15 shots on goal in the contest, led by seniors Austin Beaulieu and Connor James with three shots on target apiece.
- Both Connor Merkley and Josh Latta had five face-off wins to lead the squad.
- UAH held Minnesota State to zero goals in two power-play chances.
- Six Chargers had one block in the game.
- Sinclair's 45 saves are a season-high for the junior, and he last topped 40 saves against Northern Michigan last season on Feb. 9.
- Jeffers goal was his first of the season.
Next Time Out
- UAH wraps up home-opening weekend on Saturday at 7:07 p.m. against Minnesota State at the VBC.