GRAND FORKS, N.D. | The University of Alabama in Huntsville hockey team fell to No. 1 North Dakota by a final score of 5-2 on Friday night at Ralph Engelstad Arena in nonconference action. UAH dips to 1-15-3, while UND rises to 15-1-2.
- North Dakota regained the lead at 3-2 with 9:26 remaining in the second period, as the Fighting Hawks did not relent the advantage for the remainder of the contest for the win in the series-opener on Friday night.
- The Chargers needed just 18 seconds to take the first lead of the night as Christian Rajic sent in a centering pass by Connor James at 19:42 of the first period. Josh Latta notched an assist on the score along with James.
- North Dakota evened the game at 1-1 at the 14:04 mark of the first on a goal by Jordan Kawaguchi, which would stand as the score at intermission.
- UND's Grant Mismash gave the hosts a 2-1 lead with a marker at 3:42 of the second, but UAH responded at 6:51 of the frame with a breakaway goal by Latta off an assist by fellow freshman Tanner Hickey.
- The Fighting Hawks regained the lead at 10:34 of the middle period on Mismash's second goal of the game, as the hosts took a 3-2 advantage into second intermission.
- North Dakota added two goals in the third period by Kawaguchi at 17:24 and Cole Smith at 18:16 to bring the game to its 5-2 final score.
Inside the Box Score
- Latta finished first on the squad with two points on one goal and one assist, while Rajic, James and Hickey had one point each.
- The Chargers accrued a total of 15 shots on goal in the contest, led by Hickey with three shots on goal.
- Both Bauer Neudecker and Max Coyle had two shots on targets apiece to rank tied for second on the roster.
- Mark Sinclair took the loss in goal to dip his season record to 1-11-3, as he registered 31 saves and four goals allowed on the night.
- Rajic now leads the roster with five goals in his junior season.
- Latta's two points on the night give him a team-high 12 points in 2019-20 on four goals and a team-high eight assists.
- Second career multi-point game for Latta.
- Hickey increases his lead amongst UAH blue liners with his fourth assist of the season to give him six points with two goals also to his name.
Next Time Out
- UAH and North Dakota wrap up the two-game series on Saturday at 7:07 p.m.