GRAND FORKS, N.D. | The University of Alabama in Huntsville hockey team slipped in the series finale at No. 1 North Dakota by a score of 5-2 on Saturday night at Ralph Engelstad Arena in nonconference action. UAH dips to 1-16-3, while UND improves to 16-1-2.
- After UAH evened the game at 2-2 just 65 seconds into the second period, North Dakota regained the lead at 3:51 of the second period on a goal by Jordan Kawaguchi on the way to the Fighting Hawks 5-2 win on Saturday.
- The Fighting Hawks came out of the gate with two goals in the first period at 4:54 by Michaud and at 9:08 by Adams on the power play.
- UAH cut the deficit to 2-1 at 13:02 of the firt period when Connor Merkley fired in a snipe from the right dot off a feed from Jack Jeffers. Both Jeffers and Peyton Francis notched assists on the goal.
- The Chargers evened the score at 2-2 at 1:05 of the second period as Austin Beaulieu sent in a loose puck in front of the crease on a backhanded shot. Josh Latta registered an assist on Beaulieu's marker.
- North Dakota regained the lead at 3:51 of the second period on a tally by Kawaguchi for a 3-2 UND advantage.
- The Fighting Hawks added to their advantage at 3:10 of the third period on a goal by Ethan Frisch to give the hosts a 4-2 lead.
- UND added an empty-net goal at 19:40 of the third period by Shane Pinto to bring the game to its 5-2 final score.
Inside the Box Score
- Mark Sinclair dipped to 1-12-3 in goal this season, after making 33 saves and allowing four goals in the contest.
- UAH totaled 13 shots on goal as a team, led by freshman Tanner Hickey with three shots on goal.
- Merkley and Beaulieu were the lone goal scorers for the Chargers.
- Beaulieu, Coyle, Latta and Newton each finished with a +1 rating on the ice.
- Both Beaulieu and Merkley had two blocks, as the team accrued nine total blocks on the night.
- Latta posted a team-high nine face-off wins, going 9-for-15 in the face-off circle.
- UAH held UND to one goal in five power-play chances.
- Latta extended his team lead in assists (9) and points (13) and is also now tied for the roster lead in goals (5).
- Sinclair has made 30 or more saves seven times this season.
Next Time Out
- UAH returns home for the first time in the 2020 calendar year with a WCHA series against rival Bemidji State on Thursday and Friday night at the Von Braun Center. Puck drops at 7:37 p.m. both nights.