BOWLING GREEN, Ohio - The No. 11 Bowling Green State University hockey team fell by a score of 5-2 to Northern Michigan on Friday night (Jan. 3). The Falcons and Wildcats went back-and-forth on the scoreboard before NMU pulled away to take the lead in the second period before extending the lead in the third period. Alex Barber and Evan Dougherty netted the goals for the Falcons on the night. Bowling Green and Northern Michigan will return to the ice to conclude their season series on Saturday (Jan. 4) for a 7:07 p.m. start.
Next Home Game: The Falcons return to Slater Family Ice Arena on Jan. 4 as the team continues WCHA play, playing Northern Michigan in the second game of the series. Puck drop is set for 7:07 p.m. at the Slater Family Ice Arena.
- Northern Michigan began the scoring for the night with 14:45 remaining in the first period, seeing Darien Craighead net the puck with assists from Ty Readman and AJ Vanderbeck.
- With 1:34 left in the first period, Alex Barber tied the game for the Falcons, scoring a power play goal. Brandon Kruse and Max Johnson earned the assists on the goal.
- In the second period, the Wildcats reclaimed the lead with Hank Sorensen scoring. Vanderbeck and Ben Newhouse had the assists.
- Again, the Falcons answered with their own goal, coming with 9:08 remaining in the second period. Evan Dougherty's stick was the one to push the puck into the net, seeing assists from Connor Ford and Alec Rauhauser.
- Before the end of the second period Northern Michigan took the lead for the third and final time, coming off a power play goal by Philip Beaulieu with assists from Readman and Griffin Loughran.
- Loughran netted his own goal with 6:25 remaining in the third period to extend the NMU lead to 4-2. He was assisted by Andre Ghanthous and Joseph Nardi.
- With 1:43 left in the game, Loughran scored again, this time an empty net goal.
Falcon Stat Facts
- Jacob Dalton and Sam Craggs both saw time on the ice, marking their 100th career games in the Orange and Brown.
- With his first period goal, Alex Barber pushed his season point total to 20 after having a seven-point December that led to him being named WCHA Forward of the Month.
- Brandon Kruse assisted on Barber's goal, marking his 92nd career point. He looks to join Alec Rauhauser as the second Falcon to score his 100th career point this season. The last time multiple Falcons scored their 100th career point in the same season was in 1995-96 (Curtis Fry, Mike Johnson, Kelly Perrault, Jason Clark, and Mike Hall).
- Evan Dougherty's second period goal was assisted by Connor Ford and Alec Rauhauser. This marked the 20th point of the season for both Ford and Rauhauser, leading to a three-way tie with Barber for the team lead. This was Rauhauser's 14th assist of the season, tying him with Alex Barber for the team lead.
- Bowling Green and Northern Michigan will conclude the series on Saturday night with a 7:07 p.m. puck drop. The game will mark the final meeting between the two teams during the regular season for the 2019-20 schedule.