BOWLING GREEN, Ohio - The Bowling Green State University hockey team picked up their fifth win of the season on Friday night (Dec. 11) with a 3-2 victory over Ferris State at the Slater Family Ice Arena. The deciding goal came from Max Johnson on a redirect with less than 15 seconds remaining in the game. The win moves the Falcons to 5-1 so far this season, being 11-1 in their last 12 games dating back to last season. The Orange and Brown will return to the ice tomorrow night against Ferris State as they conclude their non-conference series. Taking place in Big Rapids, Mich. that game is set for a 7:07 p.m. puck drop.
,b>Next Home Game: The Falcons will back at the Slater Family Ice Arena on Tuesday, Dec. 29 to host Robert Morris as the second portion of the home-and-home series and is set for a 3:07 p.m. puck drop.
- The Falcons opened the scoring in the second period with a goal from Alex Barber, his third goal of the season. The assists on the score came from Taylor Schneider and Carson Musser.
- Bowling Green added another score with Seth Fyten netting his first collegiate goal with an assist from Ethan Scardina, his first career point, as well as T.J. Lloyd.
- Before the end of the period Ferris State answered with a power play goal from Jake Willets with assists from Lucas Finner and Blake Evennou.
- In the third period the Bulldogs evened the score with a goal from Coale Norris with assists from Finner and Justin Michaelian.
- With less than a minute remaining in regulation Max Johnson tipped the puck into the back of the net for the game-winner seeing an assist from Will Cullen and Tim Theocharidis on the score.
Other Key Plays
- The first period saw both teams go through the feeling out process, going to the second period with a scoreless game with the Falcons leading shots on goal 15-7 after the first.
- Both teams also committed just one penalty in the first period with both coming on a coincidental penalties of unsportsmanlike conduct.
- Towards the close of the second period there were five penalties all at once. Two Falcons and two Bulldogs were all called for roughing after a cross-checking call against Bowling Green. The penalties led to Ferris State's power play score.
Falcon Stat Facts
- With the goal in the second period, Seth Fyten and Ethan Scardina both logged their first career collegiate points, Fyten's being the goal and Scardina the assist.
- Netting the game-winner on the night, Max Johnson now has three game-winning goals this season which comes in at second in the nation. The goal also served as Johnson's 104th career point, tying Rob Blake for 64th all-time in program history.
- Entering the night third in the country for points by defensemen as a team, the Falcons saw another four points from defensemen in this game, all being assists.
- Registering 17 saves in the contest, Zack Rose logged a new season-high for saves in a single game en route to picking up his second win of the season.
- Bowling Green and Ferris State will conclude their non-conference series tomorrow (Dec. 12) in Big Rapids. The game is set for a 7:07 p.m. puck.
- Once the series with Ferris State is complete, the Falcons will turn their attention to a road series next week against No. 11 Quinnipiac set for Dec. 18 and 19. The first game will start at 7 p.m. with the second scheduled for 4 p.m.