BOWLING GREEN, Ohio - The No. 8 Bowling Green State University hockey team picked up the program's 1,000th win all-time with a 6-2 victory on Saturday night (Jan. 16) to capture the series sweep over Northern Michigan. With the win, the Falcons are the 26th program in NCAA Division-I hockey to reach the millennium mark. On the ice the Orange and Brown were paced by Cameron Wright and Will Cullen who tallied a goal and two assists each. In total, 11 different players registered a point in the game, including five players logging two points or more. As for in goal, Zack Rose picked up the win behind 27 saves. On the year the Falcons improve to 14-2 and will now look ahead to a non-conference series next weekend against Bemidji State.
Next Home Game: The Falcons will return to the Slater Family Ice Arena on Jan. 29 and 30 to host Michigan Tech in a two-game WCHA series. Both games will also be streamed on FloHockey.
- The Falcons were able to get on the board first in the contest seeing Cameron Wright net his team-leading ninth goal of the season with assists from Garrett Daly and Tim Theocharidis.
- Bowling Green added another score to their total with a goal from Brandon Kruse coming off a near perfect pass from Max Johnson along with another assist from Wright.
- Before the end of the period Northern Michigan answered with a goal from Jett Jungels with assists from Vincent de Mey and Michael Van Unen.
- In the second period the Falcons began with a power play goal off the stick of Alex Barber seeing assists from Will Cullen and Tim Theocharidis.
- Northern Michigan answered with a power play goal of their own from de Mey seeing assists from Ty Readman and Joseph Nardi.
- The Orange and Brown were able to notch another goal in the second with a score from Taylor Schneider. Schneider netted the rebound from Barber's shot with the second assist coming from Cullen.
- The scoring continued into the third period for the Falcons as Johnson connected for a goal of his own, this one coming on the power play. He was assisted by Wright and T.J. Lloyd on the score.
- Before the end of the game the Falcons added another goal, this once from Cullen in front of the net. Assists were credited to Justin Wells and Connor Ford.
Falcon Stat Facts
- With the win, Bowling Green registered their 1,000th win as a program, becoming the 26th program in NCAA Division-I hockey to reach the mark and just the third among teams that began play after World War II.
- With two points on the night, Max Johnson is now up to 111 career points, giving him sole possession of 59th on the all-time list.
- Scoring the second goal of the game for the Falcons, Brandon Kruse registered career point 127 to tie Marc Potvin for 49th all-time.
- Logging an assist on the final goal of the game, Connor Ford moved into a tie for 66th all-time for career points with 103.
- With three points in the game, Cameron Wright tied his game-high for the season with his fourth multiple-point game of the year. The two assists also mark his second multiple-assist outing of the 2020-21 season.
- Will Cullen was also able to log three points in the contest, his fourth multiple-point game as well. He also recorded two assists for his third multiple-assist game of the season. The five points on the weekend brings Cullen's season total to 16 points, tying his career-high for a single season.
- With two assists, Tim Theocharidis tallied his first multiple-assist game of the season and third of his career. As for multiple-points, it was his second of the year and fifth of his career.
- Continuing with multiple-point games, Alex Barber joined in with a goal and an assist for his fourth multiple-point game of the year.
- Also registering a goal and an assist was Max Johnson, his fourth of the season as well and 28th of his career.
- The Falcons will have another non-conference series next weekend, this time against Bemidji State. The Beavers will host the series on Jan. 21 and 22. Thursday's game of the series will start at 6:07 p.m. while Friday's contest will be a 3:07 p.m. puck drop.