|1st||6:30||MND||1-0||EV||Brigette Lacquette (3)||Sidney Morin/7|
|1st||10:56||BMJ||1-1||EV||Kristine Grenier (2)||Hanna Moher/4|
|1st||15:35||BMJ||2-1||EV GW||Ivana Bilic (2)||Alexis Joyce/4, Stephanie Anderson/3|
|2nd||6:29||BMJ||3-1||PP||Lauren Miller (2)||Rachael Kelly/2, Kristine Grenier/4|
|3rd||19:42||BMJ||4-1||EV EN||Kaitlyn Tougas (3)||Whitney Wivoda/2, Stephanie Anderson/4|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Minnesota Duluth (10-5-2)||0/3||4/8||0|
|Bemidji State (8-4-1)||1/3||4/8||0|
|Minnesota Duluth Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Kayla Black (L, 9-5-2)||59:09||3||12||6||3||21|
|Bemidji State Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Brittni Mowat (W, 6-2-1)||60:00||1||10||8||13||31|
BEMIDJI, Minn. (Sanford Center) - The Bemidji State University women's ice hockey team knocked off University of Minnesota Duluth in a Western Collegiate Hockey Association Contest Friday afternoon at Sanford Center, 4-1. BSU improves to 8-4-1 overall and 4-4-1 in WCHA play, while the Bulldogs drop to 10-5-2 overall and 5-5-1 in league play.
UMD struck first at 6:32 in the first period with the third goal of the season by Brigette Lacquette. Following Lacquette's goal, the Beavers turned up the offensive pressure on UMD goaltender Kayla Black as they outshot their opposition 14-11 in the frame. Two of the 14 shots found the back of the net. Kristine Grenier tallied her third goal of the season at 10:56 to knot the score at 1-1. Ivana Bilic gave the Beavers a 2-1 lead with her third goal of the season at 15:35 in the first.
The second period was evenly-matched as both teams had the same number of power-play chances (one) and nearly the number of shots on goal (8-7 UMD). The Beavers, however, extended thier lead to 3-1 with their lone power-play chance of the frame as Lauren Miller notched her second career power-play goal at 6:29.
Following the second intermission, UMD came out with a renewed vigor as it outshot BSU 13-4 in the third period, including five when the Beavers were down a player.
BSU's defense stepped up, however, as it not only maintained its lead but added to it with a empty-net goal from Kaitlyn Tougas at 19:42 to seal the victory.
Goaltender Brittni Mowat notched 31 saves, including seven on UMD power-play chances, to earn her sixth victory of the season (6-2-1).
Notes on Bemidji State
- Bemidji State improves to 5-59-2 all-time against UMD with the victory. All five of BSU's victories have come in the last four seasons.
- The win over the No. 8 Bulldogs was the second victory over a ranked team this season for the Beavers. The first was an 1-0 triumph over then-No. 1 University of Minnesota.
- Despite being still November, the Beavers need just one more victory to tie its home win total from all of last season (six).
- In over sixty all-time meetings, the 4-1 win is just the third time that BSU has scored four or more goals against Minnesota Duluth.
- Bemidji State will look to sweep UMD for the first time in program history in the series finale.
Next up: The Beavers and Bulldogs will conclude their series tomorrow at 2:07 p.m. from Sanford Center.