COLUMBUS, Ohio - Tatum Skaggs notched a hat trick as the Ohio State University women's ice hockey team finished off a sweep of the University of Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs with a 4-1 win on Saturday in the OSU Ice Rink.
The Nitty Gritty
- Just like in Friday's game, Ohio State gave up the first goal in the game. This time it was Sydney Brodt scoring for Duluth to give the Bulldogs a 1-0 lead just 3:50 into the game.
- It was all Ohio State from that point as Skaggs converted on a power play for her first goal of the game at the 12:31 mark to tie it up at 1-1.
- Just 1:16 later Sara Saekkinen got in on the scoring as she notched her second goal of the season to make it 2-1.
- A scoreless second gave way to the third where Skaggs put on a show. She scored her second of the game with just under 12:54 left in regulation, and then added an empty netter with 1:18 remaining to secure the second hat trick of her career.
- Emma Maltais and Jincy Dunne tallied assists on the first Skaggs goal, while Madison Field and Madison Bizal assisted on Saekkinen's goal. Jacyn Reeves got on the scoresheet with an assist on the second Skaggs goal, and Dunne finished things off with her second assist of the day on the third Skaggs goal.
- After conceding the lone UMD goal of the game, the Ohio State defense locked in, only allowing 22 shots-on-goal for the game. The Bulldogs put nine on frame in the first, and then eight in the second, but the OSU defense smothered them in the third and only allowed five shots on frame.
- Andrea Braendli had another outstanding day in net with 21 saves.
Duluth got on the board first, but the Buckeyes kicked things up a notch after taking that shot to the face. For the second consecutive game OSU scored on a power play, something the team has struggled with this season, to even things up. Saekkinen had been patrolling the ice and firing away for the last few games and finally found the back of the net for the second of her Buckeye career, and her first game-winning-goal of her collegiate career, to give the Buckeyes a 2-1 lead.
Both teams looked to find an edge in the second, but neither could find the back of the net. A pair of Ohio State penalties gave Duluth power play chances, but the OSU penalty kill proved to be lethal and shut down both opportunities, as well as the three PP chances the Bulldogs had in the first period. The score didn't change in the second, but the Buckeyes had something cooking for the third.
The Buckeyes kept firing away in the opening moments of the third, and as the pressure mounted in a scrum in front of the UMD net Reeves fed the puck to Skaggs for her second of the game. Ohio State kept the pressure up throughout the rest of the game, only allowing five SOG in the third. With Maddie Rooney on the bench and the Bulldogs desperately looking to close the gap in the closing moments, Skaggs took a pass from Dunne and fired the puck from the neutral zone into the net, notching the second hat trick of her career, and locking up a 4-1 Ohio State win.
The Buckeyes are on a bye next weekend and return to action with a trip to Mankato, Minnesota to face the Minnesota State Mavericks on November 30.