CCOLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State University women's ice hockey team put up a huge effort, but could not overcome the Minnesota Whitecaps, dropping the series finale 3-1 on Sunday at the OSU Ice Rink.
The Nitty Gritty
- Emma Stauber drew first blood just past the midway of the opening period to give the Whitecaps a 1-0 lead.
- Andrea Braendli made 15 saves in the first before ceding the net to Lynsey Wallace for the sophomore to make her first appearance in net.
- The Whitecaps extended their lead with a goal from Amy Menke at the 7:01 mark of the second.
- Madison Field got the Buckeyes on the board later in the second when she took a pass from Paetyn Levis and deposited it in the back of the net. Elise Riemenschneider earned the second assist on Field's goal.
- The Buckeyes continued to look for the equalizer throughout the third, but when Wallace came off for an extra attacker Sadie Lundquist scored on the empty net to seal a 3-1 loss for the Bucks
- Wallace finished with 27 saves in the game.
Today's game saw the Whitecaps strike first when Stauber fired the puck into the OSU net. The Buckeyes tried to even things up, but Minnesota held them at bay and took a 1-0 lead into the locker room.
Menke added to the Whitecap lead with a goal early in the second, but Field responded with a goal of her own to make it 2-1. Levis and Riemenschneider tallied assists on the Field goal.
The Bucks continued to fire away in the third as they searched for an equalizer, tying the Whitecaps 14-14 in shots-on-goal in the third, but an empty net goal from Lundquist with less than a minute to play sealed the deal on a 3-1 loss for the Buckeyes.
The Buckeyes welcome the No. 1 Wisconsin Badgers to Columbus next weekend. Puck drop for the series opener is set for 6:07 p.m. on Friday at the OSU Ice Rink.