HAMDEN, Conn. - Tatum Skaggs netted two goals as the Ohio State University women's ice hockey team beat the Quinnipiac University Bobcats 3-2 on Saturday at the Frank Perrotti Arena, securing an opening weekend sweep.
The Nitty Gritty
- Liv Soares drew first blood in the second period with an absolute laser that bounced out of the back of the net so quickly that the officials had to look at the replay to confirm the goal.
- Near the midway point of the second Quinnipiac tied the game with a goal from Melissa Samoskevich, but the tie would not hold.
- Skaggs picked up right where she left off last season, taking a pass from Emma Maltais and depositing the puck into the back of the net to put the Buckeyes up 2-1 with 4:53 left in the second.
- Samoskevich proved to be the bee in Amanda Zeglen's bonnet, scoring in the third to tie the game at 2-2.
- Skaggs struck again, this time in the closing minutes of the third, to clinch the win and the sweep for the Buckeyes.
- Zeglen made 20 saves, stopping 38 of the 42 shots she faced in the series.
- Maltais finished with two assists, giving her four points on the weekend.
- Freshmen Paetyn Levis and Eve Savander notched the first assists of their career.
- Charly Dahlquist and Lisa Bruno also went apple picking, getting their first assists of the season.
- The Buckeyes put 35 shots-on-goal in the game, led by Sophie Jaques' seven shots.
Both teams combined for zero goals in the first, just like in the first game of the series. OSU put 10 shots-on-goal in the period, with Jacyn Reeves, Rebecca Freiburger and Sophie Jaques putting two SOG each. Madison Field, Eve Savander, Emma Maltais and Jincy Dunne tallied one SOG each.
After continually firing shot after shot at Quinnipiac goaltender Allison Small, the levee finally broke when Soares fired with such ferocity that it bounced off the bar in the back of the net almost instantly, requiring the officials to look at a replay to confirm the goal. After the Bobcats tied it, Skaggs scored her first goal of the game to give OSU a 2-1 lead heading into the third.
Quinnipiac would not go quietly, tying the game near the midway point of the third. Ohio State went on the power play late in the period, and Skaggs made the most out of, netting the game winner with less than four minutes to play. The Bobcats pulled their goaltender, but could not score an equalizer as the Buckeyes left Hamden with a sweep.
Ohio State returns to Columbus for the home opener series. The Buckeyes will host Colgate next weekend, with the unveiling of the 2018 Frozen Four banner set for the pregame activities on Friday. Puck drop for the series opener is set for 6:07 p.m. at the OSU Ice Rink.