CANTON, N.Y. - Charly Dahlquist tallied four points as the Ohio State University women's ice hockey team bounced back with a dominant 6-1 win over the No. 10 St. Lawrence University Saints on Saturday in Appleton Arena.
The Nitty Gritty
- Jacyn Reeves put the Buckeyes up early with her first goal of the season just 2:46 into the game.
- Charly Dahlquist added the Ohio State lead with a goal at the 5:36 mark of the opening period.
- St. Lawrence got on the board with a power play goal from Lydia Grauer less than a minute later, cutting the OSU lead in half.
- Dahlquist extended the Ohio State lead with her second of the game, sending the Buckeyes into the first intermission with a 3-1 lead.
- With 6:14 left to play in the second Sara Saekkinen lit the lamp for her first Buckeye goal to make it 4-1 OSU.
- As time wound down in the second Tatum Skaggs got in on the scoring action to give the Buckeyes a 5-1 lead heading into the third.
- Emma Maltais added to the Buckeye lead in the third, scoring a short-handed goal on an empty net as the Saints attempted to get their offense going late.
- St. Lawrence put 22 shots-on-goal in the third, but Ohio State goaltender Andrea Braendli stood tall and stopped all of them to secure the 6-1 win. Braendli finished with 42 saves for the game.
- A slew of Buckeyes earned assists in the game. Dahlquist, Maltais, Jincy Dunne and Sophie Jaques tallied two assists each. Reeves, Lauren Boyle and Madison Field all notched one assist as well.
Ohio State wasted no time getting on the board in Saturday's game with Reeves' goal coming just 2:46 into the game. Dahlquist scored her first of the day at 5:36 to give OSU a 2-0 lead, but a St. Lawrence power-play-goal cut the lead in half less than a minute later. Not content with a solo goal, Dahlquist lit the lamp for her second of the period at the 12:20 mark, giving the Bucks a 3-1 lead they'd carry into the second. Reeves also notched an assist in the period. Maltais assisted on two goals, while Dunne and Jaques tallied one assist each.
The fireworks appeared to be over with neither team scoring for most of the period, but the goals from Saekkinen and Skaggs late in the period gave Ohio State a 5-1 lead heading into the third. Dunne and Jaques added assists on Saekkinen's goal, while Field and Boyle earned assists on the Skaggs goal.
St. Lawrence kicked up the intensity in the third as the Saints put 22 SOG, but the only puck to find the back of the net in the period was the empty netter from Maltais. Braendli stopped all 22 shots to faced to lock in the 6-1 win.
The Buckeyes return to Columbus to host the St. Cloud Huskies next weekend. Puck drop for the series opener is set for 6:07 p.m. on Friday at the OSU Ice Rink.