COLUMBUS, Ohio - Behind 32 saves from Andrea Braendli, the No. 7 Ohio State University women's ice hockey team shutout the No. 1 University of Wisconsin Badgers, 1-0, on Friday night at the OSU Ice Rink.
The Nitty Gritty
- The lone goal of the game came from Jincy Dunne as she fired the puck past UW goaltender Kristen Campbell at the 7:50 mark of the first period.
- From there the game turned into a defensive standoff, as the Buckeyes took a 1-0 lead, and a 10-to-9 shots-on-goal advantage into the break.
- The second period saw the Badgers pour it on, tallying 10 SOG to Ohio State's three, but Braendli and the defense stepped up to keep the net empty heading into the third.
- In the third the Buckeyes put the pressure back on, putting seven SOG, but Wisconsin did not go away quietly, notching 13 SOG in the final frame, but all 13 shots came up empty as Braendli and the Buckeyes secured the 1-0 shutout, handing top ranked Wisconsin only its second loss of the season.
- Braendli finished with 32 saves and her third shutout of the season.
- Emma Maltais and Sophie Jaques tallied assists on Dunne's goal.
Coming into the game both teams knew that goals would be scarce, but nobody sent Jincy Dunne that memo as she put the Bucks up early with her second goal of the season. The Buckeyes actually outshot the Badgers in the first, 10-to-9, and carried a 1-0 lead into the second.
Wisconsin came out in the second looking to get back on track, but the Buckeye defense stymied every attempt the Badgers made to claw back into the game. Wisconsin outshot OSU 10-to-3 in the second, but could not even things up.
The Badgers kept the pressure on in the third, but the Buckeyes would not yield as Braendli stopped all 13 shots she faced in the period, and the skaters in front of her wreaked havoc on Wisconsin to keep the Badgers from finding the back of the net and sealing the 1-0 Ohio State win.
The Buckeyes hit the ice tomorrow for the rubber match with Wisconsin. Puck drop is set for 3:07 p.m. at the OSU Ice Rink.