COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 5 Ohio State women's ice hockey team edged Quinnipiac Friday evening, 2-1 in the non-conference series opener. Sara Saekkinen opened scoring in the first period while Gabby Rosenthal scored her fourth, game-winning goal. With the win, Ohio State improves to 15-6-4 (9-4-3 WCHA) and the Bobcats slip to 13-8-3 (5-6-2 ECAC).
- Sara Saekkinen opened scoring with her third goal of the season and fifth of her career.
- Gabby Rosenthal's second period goal was her eighth goal of the season and her sixth goal in the past six games. It marks her fourth game-winning goal of the season.
- Tatum Skaggs posted a team-high six shots on goal in the contest.
- Ohio State outshot Quinnipiac, 41-13.
- Andrea Braendli posted 12 saves in her 50th career game. She has a record of 12-5-4 on the season.
Ohio State took the lead halfway through the first period after posting an early 6-1 advantage in shots. Lisa Bruno's initial shot was saved by Bobcat netminder, Abbie Ives but the rebound was left in front for Sara Saekkinen to capitalize for her third goal of the season. The score held at 1-0 for the remainder of the period while Ohio State outshot Quinnipiac 14-7.
The Buckeyes and Bobcats exchanged back-to-back power plays in the first half of the period but neither team could convert. In the 11th minute, Gabby Rosenthal doubled the Buckeye lead with her eighth goal of the season assisted by Jenn Gardiner and Paetyn Levis. Ohio State outshot Quinnipiac 17-2 in the period but Quinnipiac's Brooke Bonsteel only needed one to cut the lead, 2-1 with 4:20 remaining in the middle third.
The score held at 2-1 throughout the third period with the Buckeyes outshooting the Bobcats 10-4 in the final frame. Quinnipiac called Ives to the bench with 1:12 remaining but Emma Maltais sent the puck sailing out of trouble in the final seconds to secure game one of the non-conference matchup.