MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. - Ohio State won its first road test of the season as the No.3 Buckeyes defeated the No. 4 Minnesota Golden Gophers, 4-2, on Friday night at Ridder Arena. With the win, Ohio State improves to 3-0-0 on the season and hands Minnesota its first loss in its first game of the season.
How it Happened
The Gophers came out hungry in the first period, recording three shots in the first three minutes and testing goaltender Andrea Braendli early. Minnesota managed to get one past Braendli at 5:34 to take an early 1-0 advantage in the game. Thanks to four first period penalties by the Gophers, Ohio State was able to build momentum and score an equalizer with under seven minutes to play in the period. After Gabby Rosenthal won the puck back for the Buckeyes, Clair DeGeorge and Jenn Gardiner connected on a give-and-go sequence with DeGeorge capitalizing off the team's third power play of the period to tie the game at 6:52.
Ohio State came out of the first intermission fired up, scoring two goals in the period on 13 shots. Jenna Buglioni gave the Buckeyes the lead just under eight minutes into the period, as she slipped one past the Gophers off a pass from Gardiner. DeGeorge recorded her second goal of the night a couple minutes later, knocking in a pass from Emily Curlett with 7:59 to play in the second period. Lexi Templeman earned the second assist.
Minnesota capitalized on a man-up situation after pulling its goalie at 17:26 in the third period, scoring its second goal of the night with 2:03 to play. The Buckeyes faced an empty Gopher net again with less than two minutes to play and this time Paetyn Levis restored Ohio State's two-goal lead, bringing the Buckeyes' advantage to 4-2 with 1:12 remaining.
Braendli made 34 saves on the night while the team blocked 19 Minnesota shots to help back the Buckeyes to victory.
- Clair DeGeorge scored the Buckeyes' first power play goal of the season with her first goal of the night. DeGeorge has scored in each of Ohio State's series this season, recording her first Buckeye goal against St. Thomas on Sept. 24. She has now scored five power play goals for her career, having scored four previously at Bemidji State.
- Multiple Buckeyes reached career-high marks in Friday night's game. DeGeorge tied her career-high of two goals in a game and scored a career-high three points on the night with an assist on the team's final goal. She has scored twice in a single game six times in her career with the last time happening against St. Cloud State on Nov. 12, 2020. Gardiner's two assists against the Gophers tied her single game assist record, which she previously reached last season against Minnesota State (1/23/21).
- In goal, Braendli played in her 80th game for the Buckeyes and started her 78th contest. With 34 saves against Minnesota, she has made 1,941 saves in goal for Ohio State.
- Scoring the Buckeyes' game-winning goal against the Gophers, Buglioni has now scored in all three games on the year and has recorded her 20th career point.
- Curlett and Templeman earned their first assists in a Buckeye jersey Friday night against Minnesota.
- Ohio State earned its 20th win over Minnesota in the series, improving to 20-78-5 in the all-time series. The Buckeyes take a one game lead in the series since head coach Nadine Muzerall took over in 2016-17, with the team now 12-11-2 in the last six seasons against the Gophers.
- Six of the last seven matchups between Ohio State and Minnesota have been decided by no more than two goals.
- The win over Minnesota marks Muzerall's 60th WCHA win and 98th at the helm of the Buckeyes.
Shots: Minnesota 36, Ohio State 26
Saves: Ohio State (Braendli) 34, Minnesota (Bench) 20
Power Play: Ohio State 1-5, Minnesota 0-2
Faceoffs: Minnesota 45, Ohio State 26
Ohio State Scoring: Clair DeGeorge 2-1-3; Jenn Gardiner 0-2-2; Jenna Buglioni 1-0-1; Paetyn Levis 1-0-1; Gabby Rosenthal 0-1-1; Emily Curlett 0-1-1; Lexi Templeman 0-1-1
The Buckeyes and Gophers face off in the second game of the series tomorrow, Saturday, Oct. 2. Puck drop is scheduled for 4:01 p.m. ET and the game can be streamed on B1G+ (additional subscription required).