COLUMBUS, Ohio - In the first game of the D1 in D.C. Tournament, the No. 2 Ohio State women's hockey team defeated St. Lawrence, 5-2, at the MedStar Capitals Iceplex on Friday afternoon. The Buckeyes (13-2-0, 12-2-0 WCHA) earned their first regular-season non-conference victory since the 2019-20 season with the win over the Saints (7-6-4, 3-2-1 ECAC)
How it Happened
Ohio State won the game in the third quarter, scoring three goals to propel itself to a 4-2 lead at the second intermission. Gabby Rosenthal got the period started with a game-tying goal at 4:36. She tipped in a shot from Bizal to push the team ahead and knot the game at two-all. Gardiner's second goal of the day came just seconds into the Buckeyes' second power play of the day at 15:03 into the frame. Levis added another goal 1:15 later, collecting her own rebound and sneaking it past St. Lawrence's Lucy Morgan with under four minutes to play.
Sophie Jaques tallied the Buckeyes' final goal of the game, scoring an empty netter and a shorthanded goal with just 33.5 seconds to play.
The Buckeyes scored just once in the first period, as Jenn Gardiner capitalized on the Saints penalty with under eight minutes to play. She scored the game's first equalizer as St. Lawrence scored first at 6:32. The Saints closed out the period with another goal to take a 2-1 lead at the first intermission.
In net for Ohio State, Andrea Braendli recorded 15 saves in her seventh win of the season.
- Gabby Rosenthal played in her 100th career game for the Buckeyes on Friday against St. Lawrence. She joins Madison Bizal, Sophie Jaques and Paetyn Levis in reaching the 100-game mark this season.
- Jenn Gardiner scored twice on the power play against St. Lawrence. She has now recorded three power play goals on the year and six for her career. The junior now leads the Buckeyes with 28 points this season.
- Sophie Jaques netted her first short handed goal of her career on Friday. The defender is tied for first on the team with 25 points this year and is second on the team in goals (9) and assists (16).
- For the first time all season, Ohio State faced a deficit at the end of the first period. The Saints led Ohio State, 2-1, headed into the first intermission.
- Ohio State scored three of its five goals of the game in the second period and has recorded most of its 79 goals this season in the second frame. The team has scored 33 second period goals, 24 first period goals and 22 third period goals.
- Ohio State improves to 6-7 all-time against St. Lawrence and earns its fourth consecutive win against the Saints in the series.
Shots: Ohio State 46, St. Lawrence 17
Saves: St. Lawrence (Morgan) 41, Ohio State (Braendli) 15
Power Play: Ohio State 2-2, St. Lawrence 0-5
Faceoffs: St. Lawrence 27, Ohio State 24
Ohio State Scoring: Gardiner (1-1-2), Rosenthal (1-1-2), Bizal (0-2-2), DeGeorge
Ohio State meets Penn State in the final game of the D1 in DC Tournament, tomorrow, Nov. 27. Puck drop is set for 5:30 p.m. from the MedStar Capitals Iceplex.