DULUTH, Minn. - The No. 2 Ohio State women's hockey team won its final game of the year on Saturday evening in Duluth, Minn., earning a 6-2 victory over No. 9 Minnesota Duluth at Amsoil Arena. The Buckeyes (15-3-0, 13-3-0 WCHA) earn the series split against the Bulldogs (8-6-0, 7-5-0 WCHA).
How it Happened
Looking for revenge in game two after falling 5-2 on Friday night, the Buckeyes flipped the script on the Bulldogs with five unanswered goals through 47:57 of action.
Liz Schepers scored on the team's first power play of the game at 12:13 into the first period. She took advantage of a rebounded shot from Paetyn Levis to give Ohio State its first lead of the weekend. With under five minutes to play in the period, it was Levis collecting the loose puck for a goal, burying Lauren Bernard's rebounded shot to build the Buckeye lead to two.
Lexi Templeman continued the Buckeye scoring spree right out of the first intermission, netting her first goal of the game at 1:18 in the second period. Sophie Jaques sent a pass across the neutral zone to Templeman who finished the one-on-one situation against the Bulldog goaltender, Emma Soderberg, on top.
Ohio State added three more goals in the final frame as Riley Brengman scored 5:08 into the period off assists from Schepers and Sophie Jaques and Templeman added her second of the day at 7:10 from assists by Levis and Clair DeGeorge.
Minnesota Duluth managed to get two by the Buckeyes in the third period, the first at 7:57 and the second at 16:34, but Jenna Buglioni sealed the deal for Ohio State with an empty net goal at 1:03 on the clock.
Earning the start in goal for the Buckeyes was Amanda Thiele, who made 25 saves on the way to her fourth win of the year.
- Ohio State improved to 3-3-0 against ranked opponents this season with the win over ninth-ranked Minnesota Duluth.
- Amanda Thiele made her fourth start of the season after posting 17 saves in game one against the Bulldogs. In addition to finishing the night with a season-high 25 saves, she added her second assist of the year on the Buckeyes' third goal of the game.
- Paetyn Levis led the Buckeyes with three points against Minnesota Duluth on one goal and two assists. She also paced the team with a career-high plus-4 on ice rating and seven shots. Her two helpers matched her single game career-high mark, which she has reached for the third time this season.
- Lexi Templeman scored two goals for the Buckeyes, recording her first multi-goal game since scoring three against RIT on Jan. 30, 2021 for Robert Morris.
- Sara Saekkinen skated in her 100th game for the Ohio State on Saturday. In her Buckeye career, she has recorded eight goals and 19 assists for 27 points.
- Liz Schepers tallied Ohio State's 19th power play goal of the season for her fourth power play goal of the year and eighth of her career.
- With six goals on Saturday, the Buckeyes have scored at least six goals in eight games this year.
Shots: Ohio State 40, Minnesota Duluth 27
Saves: Minnesota Duluth (Soderberg) 34, Ohio State (Thiele) 25
Power Play: Ohio State 1-3, Minnesota Duluth 0-4
Faceoffs: Ohio State 25, Minnesota Duluth 24
Ohio State Scoring: Levis (1-2-3), Templeman (2-0-0), Buglioni (1-1-2), Schepers (1-1-2), Jaques (0-2-2), Brengman (1-0-1), Bernard (0-1-1), DeGeorge (0-1-1), Thiele (0-1-1)
Ohio State doesn't play again in 2021, taking a four-week hiatus before meeting Lindenwood Jan. 7-8, 2022. The Buckeyes open the new year in Columbus with puck drop against the Lions set for 6 p.m. Friday and 3 p.m. Saturday.